Sunday, June 7, 2015

Shriekback - 'Without Real String or Fish' pt.2

I wanted to continue my discussion of Shriekback.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, they are one of my favorite 80's artists and it's such a shame they did not get the recognition, acclaim and airplay they richly deserved.  Their music is so unique and different than anything else. 

I shouldn't say they didn't get any recognition and airplay because they did get some.  I remember the TV show 'Miami Vice' had a few episodes that featured music from their 'Big Night Music' album.  Also, the 1985 movie 'Manhunter' featured multiple tracks from the 'Oil & Gold' album.  For those of you not familiar with that movie, it was the prequel story to 'Silence of the Lambs'.  The book by Thomas Harris it was based on was called 'Red Dragon', which after the success of 'Silence of the Lambs' and 'Hannibal', the movie was remade with Ralph Fiennes as the main star and was called by the same name of the book, 'Red Dragon'.

I want to give Shriekback more exposure so here is the video for their 1st single off their new album 'Without Real String or Fish' called 'Now Those Days are Gone'.  It's a great way to start off the new album.


I think one of my favorite songs on this new album is called 'Ammonia Tree'.  The music sounds very similar to the song 'Black Light Trap' from 'Big Night Music', but also has a touch of the mood of 'Oil & Gold'.

The track 'Recessive Jean' at the beginning sounds a lot like the beginning of the song 'Feelers', which is a live track on the album 'The Dancing Years'.  I'm not sure if 'Feelers' was ever released because I only heard it on that album.  This is also a great track.

For those of you who are Shriekback and especially those of you who are not as familiar with them, I strongly suggest buying this album.  It is available purchase on their website www.shriekback.com along with some of their other music.  On the site you can also sign up to receive their newsletter to find out the latest news.

No comments:

Post a Comment