Thursday, June 4, 2015

Shriekback - "Without Real String or Fish"

Shriekback is one of my favorite 80's artists.  Most people probably haven't even heard of them before.  I guarantee that you probably have heard one of their biggest hits "Nemesis".  I included the video below in case you don't recognize the song title.  

Shriekback - "Nemesis" from the album Oil & Gold





I bet a lot of people think Shriekback is a 1-hit wonder band with this song, but they are totally wrong.  Shriekback just released their 13th studio album this year called "Without Real String or Fish".  They are also in the studio now working on their 14th album.  Unfortunately, they don't tour live anymore.  I regret that I never got the chance to see them perform live.  After Shriekback disbanded in 1988 I thought that was it, but I was pleasantly surprised in 1992 when they got back together and released a new album "Sacred City".  They did a US tour for that album and I had tickets to see them in Salt Lake City, Utah.  I had a second chance to see them live, but there was a huge snowstorm in Denver where they played the night before and they were stranded.  They had to cancel the Salt Lake City show and never rescheduled it.  I was so disappointed because that was my final chance.  They never toured the US again. 

The new album "Without Real String or Fish" has the sound of their earlier albums "Oil & Gold" and "Big Night Music".  In my opinion, the last 2-3 albums have not been my favorite of Shriekback.  Each might have had 1 good song, but as a whole, the albums were not that good.  This new album is more in line with their earlier music, which I absolutely enjoy.  Below is the track listing of the album:






1
Now Those Days Are Gone
4:30
2
The King in the Tree
4:15
3
Soft Estate
4:45
4
Woke Up Wrong
4:02
5
Beyond Metropolis
5:25
6
Ammonia Tree
4:06
7
Recessive Jean
4:12
8
Horrors of the Deep
4:48
9
In the Pylons
3:50
10
Man of Foam
4:22
11
And Everything Like That
6:21
12
Bernadette
3:34

1 comment:

  1. I've never gotten to see them live either. I'd like to think that, in a parallel reality, all of their fans have seen them live multiple times.

    ReplyDelete